Domestic violence affects countless individuals, regardless of age, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, gender, race, religion, or nationality. It is prevalent in every community, regardless of its location.
That’s why Harbor House Domestic Violence Center doesn’t limit its services to Stone County or its home state of Missouri. Our doors are open to women and children from across the country.
The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV) has compiled some frightening statistics regarding domestic violence:
- In the U.S., nearly 20 individuals per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner, equaling more than 10 million in a year.
- 1 in every 3 women has been a victim of some form of physical violence by an intimate partner within her lifetime, and 1 in every 4 has been a victim of severe physical violence.
- Women between the ages of 18 and 24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner.
- More than 20,000 phone calls per day are placed to domestic violence hotlines.
- Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- Nineteen percent of domestic violence involves a weapon.
- The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.